Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Orange Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Cookies

Yesterday one of my friends was having a bad day so I made her a plate of these cookies. Though, to be honest, I was looking for an excuse ... I've been having some pretty serious chocolate cravings and these are the perfect cure.
The cookies are pretty basic - they're based on the Nestle ones I grew up making with various modifications which came from looking at my cabinets and wondering what would happen if I added this or that ingredient. Out of all the variations I've tried, this is my favorite - very chocolately with a divine orange richness to it. Enjoy!

Orange Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Cookies

Makes about 5 dozen (if you don't eat too much of the dough)
First batch ready in about 30 minutes (15 prep, 10 cooking)

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup baking cocoa (powder stuff)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 sticks (1 cup) butter or margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp orange extract
2 large eggs
1 cup (6 oz) white chocolate chips
1 cup (6 oz) milk-chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Unwrap the butter and put the sticks in a large, heat-safe bowl and put the bowl somewhere warm. I put it over the back burner which also serves as the heat exhaust for the oven. The goal is to get the butter about 1/4 melted, give or take some.
  3. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
  4. Take butter bowl off (or out of) heat and beat in white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla and orange extract. Beat until creamy.
  5. Mix in the eggs, one at a time preferably.
  6. Gradually beat in flour mixture, a little at a time.
  7. Mix in chips.
  8. Drop by the spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets
  9. Bake for 10 minutes (more for crispier cookies, less for moister ones) and let cool on racks (if you can stand waiting!)

No comments: